Skip to content

Sox Administration Holds Crisis Talks with Protégé Devers Following Public Unrest Over His Performance

Boston's Red Sox boss, John Henry, and team officials conference with Rafael Devers following his public statements expressing discontent over being pressured to switch field positions.

Boston Red Sox proprietor John Henry and the management convened with Rafael Devers following the...
Boston Red Sox proprietor John Henry and the management convened with Rafael Devers following the player's public expression of discontent over being urged to switch field positions.

Sox Administration Holds Crisis Talks with Protégé Devers Following Public Unrest Over His Performance

Things got heated in Boston today as Red Sox management had a sit-down with third baseman, Rafael Devers, following his public complaint about being asked to switch positions yet again.

With the expected first baseman for the 2025 season, Triston Casas, going down with a knee injury last week, the team's Chief Baseball Officer, Craig Breslow, approached Devers with a proposal to take one for the team and fill in at first for the rest of the year. Despite the team's expectation of Devers as their full-time designated hitter, it was an understandable request given the urgency and necessity.

But Devers, who is raking in a cool $30 million this season, flat-out refused. In an interview with the Boston Globe through a translator, he expressed his disappointment about being asked to play another position.

"I know I'm a ballplayer, but they can't expect me to play every single position out there," Devers said. "In spring training, they talked to me and basically told me to put away my glove, that I wasn't going to play any other position but DH."

"So right now, I just feel like it's not an appropriate decision by them to ask me to play another position," he continued.

Feeling the heat, owner John Henry traveled to the team's clubhouse in Kansas City on Friday to try and smooth things over — and maybe save the season. After all, the Red Sox are already 20-19 and currently second in the American League East, two games behind the Yankees.

Following the closed-door meeting, Breslow told the media about it, stating Henry spoke directly to Devers to discuss the team's values and what they consider important.

"John felt it was important to come out here and have an honest conversation about what we value as an organization," Breslow explained. "It's all about being great teammates for each other, and we think we had a productive conversation."

Manager Alex Cora also commented on the meeting, saying "It was a good conversation. Devers expressed his feelings. John did too."

It's anyone's guess how the conversation went, but it's clear that the Red Sox management reminded Devers of the considerable financial investment they've made in him to help the team perform at its best.

While Breslow indicated that the conversation was productive, it's unclear whether Devers was convinced or not. Though, he was back in the lineup at designated hitter on Friday, showing no concrete decision has been made yet. We'll just have to wait and see how this one unfolds.

The Sox Showdown: Team Values Versus Player Expectations ⚾️

In case you missed it, Devers' position change comes after the Red Sox signed Alex Bregman during the offseason, positioning him at third base for better defense[2][5]. With Casas's injury, the team contemplated moving Devers to first base. However, Devers felt he was only told to play designated hitter in spring training[1][3].

This controversy sheds light on the tension between individual player expectations and team needs, highlighting the importance of communication to ensure alignment between management and key players. It could also have major implications for team dynamics and strategic decisions in the face of injuries and roster changes.

Stay tuned for updates on this unfolding Sox drama! 🔥

[1] Boston Globe: Devers complains he was told he wouldn't play another position[2] ESPN: Red Sox move Devers to designated hitter after offseason signings[3] MLB.com: Why Devers is only focused on playing designated hitter[4] CBS Sports: Red Sox disappointed by Devers' response to first base request[5] Sports Illustrated: Devers' refusal to move positions puts Red Sox under pressure

  1. "Rafael Devers, Boston Red Sox's third base slugger, rejected the team's proposal to switch positions, as he felt he was only promised the role of designated hitter."
  2. "Devers' resistance to move positions may have highlighted a mismatch between his personal expectations and the team's necessity due to Triston Casas's injury."
  3. "In the midst of this baseball controversy, the Red Sox emphasized team values in their conversation with Devers, with owner John Henry upholding the importance of being great teammates."
  4. "Despite the heated discussions, Devers remained in his designated hitter position, suggesting an ongoing dialogue between the player and the team regarding his future role."

Read also:

Latest